Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
This super tasty chili has lots of foods that support cleansing: beans, sweet potatoes, and cilantro.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 anaheim pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes (1 1/2 lbs), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 28 oz-can whole plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1 dried chipotle pepper (smoked jalapeño), seeded and chopped (easiest to do with scissors)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, washed and dried
Warm the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion, pepper, garlic, and sweet potato chunks. Sauté, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a wooden spoon. Add water or broth, beans, chipotle, cumin, and chili powder, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Stir in cilantro and serve.