Red Quinoa Pumpkin Seed Salad with Black Bean
Quinoa Rocks! It is a complete protein (meaning it has all 8 essential amino acids), is gluten-free, and cooks in 15 minutes. Need I say more? Okay, I will — it is loaded with iron and calcium.
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons scallions, sliced
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
In a saucepan, boil water and add quinoa, lower heat, and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
In a bowl, combine oil, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, and scallions. Pour over quinoa and stir in beans and peppers, mixing thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until service. Right before serving, stir in pumpkin seeds.